3 Types of Radioactive Emission
- carries positive charge.
- most strongly ionizing of the nuclear radiations.
- least penetrating. Range in air is only a few centimetres, and can be stopped by a thick sheet of paper.
- carry a negative charge.
- much less ionizing than alpha emission.
- more penetrating than alpha emission..
- have a range of a metre or so in air,
- can be stopped by a few millimetres of Perspex or aluminium.
- often emitted at the same time as an alpha or beta particle.
- least ionizing of the nuclear radiations,
- most penetrating.
- their intensity is greatly reduced by several centimetres of lead, but they are never completely absorbed.