Vectors in Equilibrium
When 3 vectors are in equilibrium, the resultant vector = 0.
- After joining all the vectors tail to head, the head of the last vector will join to the tail of the first vector.
Forces in equilibrium
- Forces are in equilibrium means the resultant force in all directions are zero.
- When the forces acting on an object are balanced, they cancel each other out. The net force is zero.
- an object at rest is continually at rest [ velocity = 0]
- a moving object will move at constant velocity [ a = 0]
The vertical component of tension A (TA) = TC
TAcos60o = TC
TA = TC/cos60o
TA = 5/cos60o = 10N
Newton’s third Law of Motion – Java Applet