|(This file is shared by Philip Ronan under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.)|
- The full range of electromagnetic waves, arrange orderly in their wavelengths and frequencies is called the electromagnetic spectrum.
- The figure above shows the electromagnetic waves in the electromagnetic spectrum.
- In SPM, you need to know
- The order of the electromagnetic waves in the electromagnetic spectrum.
- The sources of the electromagnetic waves
- The applications of the electromagnetic waves
Sources of Electromagnetic Waves
|Radio Wave||Electrical oscillating circuit (consists of a capacitor and a conductor connected in series)|
|Microwave||The oscillating electrical charge in a microwave transmitter|
|Infrared||Hot bodies, the sun and fires|
|Visible Light||The sun, hot objects, fires, light bulbs, fluorescent tubes|
|Ultraviolet||Very hot objects, the sun, mercury vapour lamps|
|X-ray||X-ray tubes where high energy electrons bombarding a metal plate.|
|Gamma Ray||Radioactive substances|