- Reflection occurs when an incident wave hits a reflector and reflected back.
- The direction of propagation of the wave changed when it is reflected.
- The wavelength, frequency and speed of wave remain unchanged.
- The amplitude of the wave may or may not change depend on the material of the reflector and the shape of the wavefront.
Reflection of Straight and Circular Wave
- Reflection of waves obeys the law of reflection, that is
- The angle of incident is equal to the angle of reflection
- The incident wave, reflected wave and the normal lie on the same plane.
- For reflection of circular wave, the distance of image from the reflector is equal to the distance of source of wave from the reflector.
|(Reflection of Straight Plane Wave)
|(Reflection of Circular Wave)