- The accuracy of a measurement can be increased by
- taking a number of repeat readings to calculate the mean value of the reading.
- avoiding the end errors or zero errors.
- taking into account the zero and parallax errors.
- using more sensitive equipment such as a vernier calliper to replace a ruler.
- The difference between precision and accuracy can be shown by the spread of shooting of a target (as shown in the Diagram below).
- The sensitivity of an instrument is its ability to detect small changes in the quantity that is being measured.
- Thus, a sensitive instrument can quickly detect a small change in measurement.
- Measuring instruments that have smaller-scale parts are more sensitive.
- Sensitive instruments need not necessarily be accurate.