In a force oscillation, if the frequency of the external force is equal to the natural frequency of the system, the system will oscillates with maximum amplitude, and this is named as resonance.
Examples of Resonance
- Opera singer breaks a wine glass with her voice due to the effect of resonance.
- Tacoma Narrow Bridge in USA collapsed in 1940 due to the effect of resonance.
- A moving bus produces excessive noise at certain speed when the frequency of the engine equal to the natural frequency of the bus.
Applications of Resonance
- Resonance is used to tune radio or television to your favorite channels.
The characteristic of resonance can be demonstrated with a Barton’s pendulum system.
1. When pendulum X oscillates, the other pendulums are forced to oscillate.
2. Pendulum D will oscillates with the largest amplitude.